Thursday, August 10, 2017

(ACO) A Clockwork Career (about McDowell) | S Farber | LA Times | 6/18/01

A Clockwork Career - Los Angeles Times

Archive for Monday, June 18, 2001
A Clockwork Career

By Stephen Farber

June 18, 2001 in print edition F-1

British actors are compulsive worker bees, and they often build up fat
filmographies that contain a bewildering mixture of masterpieces and glaring
missteps. Michael Caine has admitted that he has a string of stinkers on his
resume, and even Laurence Olivier was pretty undiscriminating in the roles he
chose in his later years.
Malcolm McDowell belongs to this category of indefatigable, sometimes
indiscriminate thespians. Just this year he had a part in Disney’s “Just
Visiting,” played the Sheriff of Nottingham in a TV movie called “Princess of
Thieves” and completed a miniseries based on Stephen King’s novel “Firestarter”
for the Sci-Fi Channel. Over the course of his 30-year career, he’s done movies,
TV films, plays, even a sitcom with Rhea Pearlman that had a brief run in 1996.
“I’ve done over 100 movies,” McDowell says. “I don’t even dare look at the list.
I can’t remember all of them. I sometimes feel like a gunfighter. You know, I
come into town, sort ‘em out, and I’m gone in a cloud of dust.”
It may be just as well that he doesn’t remember “Mr. Magoo” or “In the Eye of
the Snake” or “Jezebel’s Kiss.” Audiences have probably forgotten them, too. But
the sheer volume of activity and the mediocrity of many of his movies shouldn’t
obscure the brilliance of his best work. Starting Thursday and running through
Sunday, the American Cinematheque presents a series of seven of his movies,
including his recognized classics “if
“I think it’s only right that I should be here to face the music for my past
sins,” he muses. “I’m going to try not to feel old.”
McDowell has just turned 58, but with a shock of white hair and blazing blue
eyes, he’s as charismatic as ever. He loves to regale listeners with tales of
the greats and not-so-greats with whom he’s worked, often peppering the
anecdotes with impeccable vocal impersonations of the supporting players. Take
his tale of playing the rebellious schoolboy Mick Travis in Lindsay Anderson’s
1968 film “if
McDowell went for an open audition and almost missed it because he was delayed
at a rehearsal for a play he was doing. “I rushed in,” McDowell recalls, “and
apologized for being late. I said, ‘I’m doing this awful production of “Twelfth
Night” at the Royal Court Theatre.’ I’d put my foot in it because Lindsay was a
director of the Royal Court. I had no idea.”
Tickled by his impudence, Anderson asked him to read a scene. Later Anderson
called him back to read with the young actress who had been cast as the waitress
who befriends the student revolutionaries. McDowell recalls, “The script said,
‘Mick reaches over, grabs hold of the girl and passionately kisses her on the
lips.’ I thought, well, I’ll not shirk my duty. I reached over, grabbed her, our
teeth hit, and her lip started bleeding. As I came away, she slapped me so hard
that tears came to my eyes… . I always think it was because of that slap that I
actually was cast in ‘if
McDowell relishes the process of acting; he knows the results are out of his
hands, and he seems philosophical about the fate of his movies. “I can’t spend
too much time worrying about the outcome,” he says. “I get a great kick out of
working. And I’ve had the best time sometimes on the worst movies. James Mason
once told me, ‘Malcolm, there are three reasons to do a movie: the part, the
location, the money. If you can get two out of three, take the job.’ And he was
right. If you can get three out of three, your name is Tom Cruise.”
Under the Mentorship of Director Anderson
Anderson took McDowell under his wing, and they worked together again on “O
Lucky Man” in 1973 (Warners is striking a new print of the film for the
Cinematheque screening) and “Britannia Hospital” in 1982. “Lindsay was
everything to me,” McDowell says. “A mentor, a father figure… . Lindsay used to
tell me, ‘I’m not interested in naturalistic stuff. I’m interested in a
performance that elevates.’ ”
It was after seeing “if
“He was just the greatest film actor that ever lived, bar none,” McDowell says.
“You were riveted to the way he moved.” McDowell has Cagney’s physical energy,
along with a hypnotic voice; his sardonic voice-over narration of Anthony
Burgess’ strange, invented language propels “A Clockwork Orange.”
McDowell points out that Kubrick’s direction of actors was completely unlike
Anderson’s: “Lindsay would tell you about the emotional undercurrent, everything
you wanted to know about the character. Stanley didn’t really dissect character;
he wasn’t interested in that. He got good performances, but it was more by
attrition. I’m the kind of actor that gets there in one or two takes. Working
with Stanley was more like the siege of Stalingrad. I’d ask him what he wanted,
and he’d say, ‘Just do it again.’ ‘But why?’ ‘Just do it again.’ Yet Stanley was
the greatest audience. If he loved it, he would start laughing into his
handkerchief.”
Sometimes the collaboration worked spectacularly well, as in the famous scene in
which Alex beats a writer senseless and rapes his wife while singing “Singin’ in
the Rain.” That was not written into the script, and filming of the scene was
going slowly.
“Nothing we tried was working,” McDowell reports. “Finally, Stanley came over to
me one day and said, ‘Malcolm, can you dance?’ And I went, ‘Can I dance? Of
course I can.’ And I started to dance and whack the stunt man at the same time,
and then I started singing, ‘I’m singin’ in the rain’–Stanley went nuts. It was
just a joke, but Stanley loved it. He said, ‘I have to make a call, give me a
moment.’ Right on the spot he called New York and bought the rights to the song.
He was such a businessman!”
Nevertheless, the actor and director had a rift toward the end of filming that
never really healed. At one point, McDowell came down with tonsillitis, and he
felt the single-minded Kubrick was cavalier about his health. In addition, he
was bothered by Kubrick’s remoteness. “Because Lindsay had become a great
friend, I presumed the same thing was going to happen with Stanley,” McDowell
says. “I’d given him everything, and what I got was rejection. Looking back on
it, that’s pretty much what I got from my own father. I was angry about it, and
it’s only since Stanley’s death that I’ve been able to reconcile myself.
“If there’s anything I regret in my life, and there aren’t many things, it’s not
picking up the phone and saying, ‘Hi Stanley, let’s get together for a drink.’
Because of course I loved him. I loved him and I hated him, but I did great work
with him. It’s some of the greatest work I’ll probably ever do.”
At the time, the ferocious controversy about the film surprised McDowell. “I
thought we’d made a good black comedy,” he says. “But then, in everything I do,
I go for the humorous approach, even if I’m playing the most vicious killer.”
Portraying Villains Becomes Signature Act
Partly because of “A Clockwork Orange,” villains became McDowell’s stock in
trade. He played evil to the hilt in “Caligula,” “Cat People,” “Blue Thunder,”
“Star Trek Generations” and many other movies. “You look into his eyes, and you
see a hint of wildness, a provocative come-on, and so it’s natural to cast him
in those roles,” says director Hugh Hudson. “But he merits better than a lot of
the movies he gets.”
As a result of this typecasting, McDowell was grateful for the few
non-villainous roles he was able to play, including the part of the rambunctious
uncle in Hudson’s 1999 coming-of-age tale “My Life So Far.” One of McDowell’s
favorites, which will be shown in the Cinematheque retrospective, is “Time After
Time,” in which he plays H.G. Wells pursuing Jack the Ripper through a time
machine to modern-day San Francisco, where the Victorian writer falls in love
with a liberated bank teller played by Mary Steenburgen.
“I was a fan of Malcolm’s from ‘if

Unfortunately, some of McDowell’s best performances have gone largely unseen. In
1990 he played Albert Schweitzer in a South African film; he considers it one of
his most rewarding roles, but because of plagiarism charges brought against the
film, it was locked in a vault and has never been released. In 1991, after the
fall of Communism in Russia, McDowell made “The Assassin of the Tsar” (screening
at the Cinematheque on Sunday), which is a marvelous showcase for him. He
expertly plays two roles–a mental patient who believes that he killed Nicholas
and Alexandra, and the actual assassin in the movie’s flashback sequences. The
movie was well received at the Cannes International Film Festival in 1991 but
has not been shown in the U.S. until now.

McDowell still dreams of making “Mario and the Magician,” based on the Thomas
Mann novella, which he has been trying to film for 20 years. But if that doesn’t
come to fruition, he’ll do a horror movie or a gross-out comedy and tickle
viewers with a few moments of gleeful malevolence.

“Even when I was in my 20s,” McDowell reflects, “I always said, ‘I don’t want to
be a movie star. I want to be like John Gielgud. I want to be working when I’m
in my 70s.’ And with a bit of luck, I will be.”

* The American Cinematheque presents “Outside Looking In: A Tribute to Malcolm
McDowell,” Thursday through Sunday, Lloyd E. Rigler Theatre at the Egyptian,
6712 Hollywood Blvd., Hollywood, (323) 466-FILM.

No comments:

Post a Comment